So you’ve decided to delve into the realm of email newsletters as part of your internet marketing strategy. It wont take you long to re realize that we live in world where we have more than enough choice for everything! Email newsletter software is no exception. If you run a search on Google for email software you’ll get 295 million results. Now not all of these are email software vendors but you get the point.
There’s a lot of choice.
Lets get simple
Let me simplify the choice for you. There are essentially two approaches for email blasting software.
Option 1: A pay-per-use, per month or per email format
Option 2: A license-based email software format
I’m going to talk a little about each option and help you decide which format is best for you.
Option 1: Pay per usage email software
Pay-per-use email software will provide you with an online application/website where you can log in, upload email lists, create email templates and messages and blast them off. You can monitor your open rates and click-throughs (depending on package purchased) etc.
Fees for using such a system varies depending on the provider and which package you purchase.
Some examples are as follows:
1cent per email address on your list
$49.95 per month with unlimited email addresses and frequency limits
$9.99 per email sent, regardless or how many recipients there are
- You pay a minimal fee to use the system (maybe nothing unless you use it)
- The provider is responsible for system uptime and the general technical aspects of your online account.
- Although generally a low cost solution, if you have thousands of email addresses on your account this could get expensive.
- In many cases you will have a mandatory icon, link or logo placed on your messages by the vendor, which effectively advertises their software and somewhat discredits your internal email credibility.
Option 2: License-based email software
License-based email software is just that, you effectively buy the software to use as and when you please with no additional fees. This type of software is installed on your server and it is your responsibility to ensure that it is maintained should there be a problem. This type of software usually includes a more comprehensive set of email tools for sending, managing and tracking email newsletters.
- You only pay once.
- The features and add-ons are generally more in depth, providing more tracking and managing capabilities.
- There are no logos or links to the email manufacturer included in your mailings.
- The license and setup fees are more expensive than the pay per use option. Around $300 would be an appropriate estimate of cost for this.
- The software will draw on your web hosting services as and when you send mailings, at times this may exceed storage or bandwidth limits on your hosting account. Check with your hosting provider for details
We’re here to help you choose which type of email newsletter approach is right for you
Choosing the type of email newsletter software may be more involved than you first thought. There are many providers for each of the categories talked about in this article. We’re here to help. Contact us today for further information about email marketing and to determine which email solution is right for your organization. Reach us at email@example.com or (612) 669-5985.